Rhonda Wills is the founder of Wills Law Firm, a Memphis-based law firm that specializes in family law and bankruptcy. Ms. Wills has been practicing law since 1997, and Rhonda wills opened her own firm in 2006. She is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association and the American Bankruptcy Institute. In her spare time, Ms. Wills enjoys spending time with her family, as well as reading and traveling.
Table of Contents
5 Things I Wish Someone Told Me When I First Became an Attorney
Becoming an attorney is a huge accomplishment. It’s a profession that comes with a lot of responsibility and expectations. Here are five things I wish someone told me when I first became an attorney:
- It’s Okay to Ask for Help
- There’s More to Life Than Work
- Don’t Take Yourself Too Seriously
- You Don’t Know Everything, and That’s Okay
- Don’t be Afraid to Make Mistakes
It’s Okay to Ask for Help
When we were young, our parents taught us to be strong and independent. We were told that asking for help was a sign of weakness. As adults, we sometimes find ourselves in situations where we need help, but we’re still reluctant to ask for it. We don’t want to be seen as weak or dependent.
But there’s nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it. In fact, it can be a sign of strength. When you ask for help, you’re admitting that you don’t have all the answers and you’re willing to put your trust in someone else. You’re also acknowledging that you need support and that you’re not afraid to admit it.
So don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it. It’s okay to admit that you can’t do everything on your own.
There’s More to Life Than Work
There is more to life than work. Work is important, but it is not the only thing that matters. There are also relationships, friends, family, and hobbies. Work can be stressful, and it can be hard to balance work with other aspects of life. But it is important to try to find a balance, and to make time for the things that are important to you.
Don’t Take Yourself Too Seriously
In our fast-paced, constantly connected world, it’s easy to get wrapped up in the day-to-day and forget to take a step back and enjoy life. One of the best ways to do this is by not taking yourself too seriously. This doesn’t mean you should ignore your responsibilities or stop striving for success, but it does mean that you should lighten up every once in a while and enjoy life’s simple pleasures. Here are a few tips on how to not take yourself too seriously:
- Don’t take yourself too seriously in the first place: This may seem like common sense, but if you can go into every situation with a lighthearted attitude, it will be much easier to not take things too seriously when they don’t go your way.
- Don’t compare yourself to others: If you see a friend doing something that you’re not, or someone else who seems to be doing better than you, don’t let it get under your skin. You are most likely in the same boat as everyone else.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff: In life, we are bound to come across some stressful situations. Despite this, we should not let the small things bother us. By doing so, we will only create more problems for ourselves and make our lives more difficult than they need to be. There are many ways to deal with stress, and one of the most important is to learn how to let go of the small things.
You Don’t Know Everything, and That’s Okay
We all like to think that we know everything. We like to think that our opinions are the only ones that matter and that our views are the only correct ones. But the truth is, you don’t know everything. And that’s okay.
It’s okay to not have all the answers. It’s okay to not be an expert on every topic. It’s okay to admit that you don’t know everything.
Nobody knows everything. Not even experts know everything. So don’t be so hard on yourself for not knowing everything. There’s no shame in admitting that you don’t know something.
There are plenty of things out there that you don’t know about. But that doesn’t mean you’re stupid or ignorant. It just means that you’re human. And humans aren’t perfect.
Don’t be Afraid to Make Mistakes
Making mistakes is a natural part of life. In fact, if you’re not making mistakes, you’re probably not trying hard enough. The key is to learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes – they’re how you learn and grow.